Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Visit to H.D. Reynolds


OK, this is what it's all about. Seriously... When I got into this "World of Snow Blowing" I knew next to nothing. So how did I become so damn smart? A lot of blowing snow... and YouTube!

Some of the coolest videos I hit on were cranked out by a very knowledgeable gentleman by the name of Jim Reynolds of H.D. Reynolds of Cheshire, Massachusetts. Thanks to Jim I first learned what a Scraper Bar was and how to get it set to where I wanted it. Pretty simple stuff, huh? Well, if you don't know what these things are, you can do a lot of damage to both your driveway and your machine. I have used some of the things I learned to draw up the Installation Sheet for the Roller-Skid.

I was so impressed with Jim's videos that I stopped to visit him in Cheshire, MA this week on my way back from Boston where I was visiting my daughter. Jim and I had a great time talking and I got a chance to show him the new Universal Adapter Bracket that allows any skid shoe to fit practically any snow blower. I use the term "practically" because I am not familiar with all the machines out there... yet. Jim in turn showed me a spray can of Fluid Film that he suggested might go a long way to help keep the Roller-Skid, as well as the auger box and chute from icing up. This stuff looks to be terrific... but man does it smell! It is made with a lanolin base and smells like a wet sheep in heat. Please understand that I am only guessing that this is what they smell like and have no personal experience to validate this claim. I can't wait to give this stuff a try! I may even try a shot of Fluid Film under my mower deck. I believe it's about $10/10.75 oz. can at your local Power Equipment Dealer.

Meeting folks like Jim is what makes this whole adventure worthwhile for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment